Shimla.... a city always on holiday...

I was introduced to Shimla, the capital of Himachal Pradesh, the Queen of Hills at the best time of the year possible... The romantic misty cool July. My brother and sister were to appear for medical entrance exam to the college which would become my alma-mater... My dream come true.. Indira Gandhi Medical College, Shimla. I was stupid enough to push for tagging along, so we went, papa, chachaji, Vishal my elder bro and my dear sister Deepali. This was when I was around 7th class.. and Shimla stole my heart away...!!!

When I was to go to college, I got BJMC, Ahmedabad. I spent around two months there, ragging and all the initial excitement and hiccups of an Indian medical college fresher... And then 2nd counselling I bagged the college of my dreams... IGMC,Shimla... Against the wishes of my brother, who was all for BJMC and it's direct PG availability at that time, my parents took me to IGMC and I was the happiest girl in the world. 

I reached Shimla, and the hills and green ranges across our hostel windows took my breath away... and at night the stars would come down to earth... the lights of Shimla sparkle like an extension of starry night. 
I remember standing at the Mall, waiting it to get dark when lights would sparkle and shine like diamonds and stars. We would just stand and stare. Yes that's what Shimla does to you, it inspires you to take time out and enjoy the moment.

Every night 2-3 minutes before sleeping, I would switch off the lights of my room, look out to the shining lights and say "wwooowww", it made you feel blessed to be able to enjoy such a view. You wouldn't know if it's a distant house light or a star actually. Sometimes you could trace a lone car moving in the dark , in the mountain across the opposite end of the valley. The lights playing hide and seek along the turns of the road. 

Then came winters, and one morning I woke up to the divine view of freshly snowed  white white Shimla. It's marvellous, the 7am untouched snow on trees , tiny branches, flowers, rooftops, the road, the railings, everything white... It's simply breathtaking. And we skip college and rush to he Mall to enjoy with all the tourists. It's sheer energy, happiness and excitement .. a wave which washes away your sorrows your worries... The best is eating ice cream on the Ridge, in -2 degrees, while it's snowing.!!

As a student, Shimla is the best place to study. You have no tensions of groceries or how you will dry your clothes in July, the nitty gritty of being a home maker in Shimla. It's a place where you can get instant relief from the boredom of studies , going to the Mall and Ridge invigorates students to go back to the hostel and study even more. That's what we used to do. On a lazy Sunday, just enjoy the sun in hostel or be warm and cozy in your bed with coffee and a novel and the white white romantic Shimla outside. Or you can just walk to your favourite picnic spot or go for a hike, or simple stroll. Its all so inviting. 

And if you  are a Bollywood fan, who wouldn't be, you might be able to catch a glimpse of your favourite actor and actress, because there are so many movies shot there. 

You can never be sad in Shimla. You feel sad and melancholy, go out to the Ridge and Mall. You immediately feel the happy vibes . The happiness of children, the relaxed parents , the love of honeymoon couples, the excitement of youngsters in groups. You just sit on the stands and gaze around. Have hot coffee or green tea. The mountains, the beautiful buildings, the tourists, the locals, the monkeys, the vendors ... It seems everyone is on a long and perpetual fun holiday when in Shimla. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

holi... the colors and the splash...

बिन कहानी की कविता

Papa's birthday but no papa...